chives

chives

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Canada Blooms 2014 - Part 2, Fabulous Folks!

One of the best bits of going to Canada Blooms is seeing old friends - and meeting new ones! As well, I had the opportunity to meet some avid gardeners that I only knew through social media. It's always great to put a face to the twitter handle or Facebook commenter.

Today, I'm off to a talk at Blomidon Nurseries, but just wanted to share some of these fine folks before I head out.. Hope you're enjoying spring so far! I'm looking out my window with a hot cup of tea and enjoying the view of a handful of chickadees playing in my ornamental grasses.. a nice way to start the day.

One half of the Savvy Gardening crew - Tara and I
at Canada Blooms!! The four of us are pretty
scattered and there is just NEVER enough time together
to catch up. 

Hi Tara - enjoying the kids garden at Canada Blooms!

Paul Zammit, the Horticultural Director of the Toronto
Botanical Gardens

It's Hilary! So great to meet my twitter friend. She's an
avid gardener who inspires me with every tweet. 

And Ron! Another talented gardener from Ontario. Lovely
to see him again!

Me at the tail end of my book signing.. It was a great
turnout! Thanks to everyone who popped by to say hello
and pick up a copy!

I also joined the Pay Chen show while in TO. We had
a great chat about gardening in small spaces.

Go Helen go!! Helen Battersby and her sister Sarah offer
plenty of garden fun on their popular website - Toronto Gardens.
Helen is also a Canada Blooms tour guide and I was lucky
enough to tag along on part of her tour. Love how she
co-ordinates wardrobe with the gardens! :)

The Garden Writers lunch - a busy place! My seminar took place
at the same time, so I was in and out. But I did get a chance
to chat with some outstanding garden writers and re-connect
with old friends. 

Beckie Fox, the editor of Garden Making magazine and
Lorraine Flanigan of City Gardening. In 2013, Lorraine
traveled on VIA Rail across Canada visiting public gardens
from coast to coast on behalf of VIA Rail and Garden Making.

Regal in red - Veronica Sliva of A Gardener's World
was the belle of the ball! Veronica often
blogs about her global garden adventures - but she
never takes me with her - boo!! :)
Beckie Fox of Garden Making along with
her publisher - and charming - hubby, Michael. If you haven't
had a chance to check out the magazine, I
highly recommend it. Each volume reads like a book and is
packed full of info, photos and timely techniques.

I snapped these garden gurus on the way
into Canada Blooms - Sonia Day from
The Toronto Star, who is also a very popular
garden author. Also Kathy Wood whose blog
is called The Cottage Gardener.

Minna of Global Mornings in Toronto and I
talk fragrant spring herbs and timely garden
tasks for spring!

Finally, Tara and I hanging out with the firecracker Miriam
Goldberger, author of the new book, Taming Wildflowers

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Niki, just stumbled upon this shot! Thanks for the shout-out, and it was great to see you at Canada Blooms. Your new book is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen.. I just posted this quickly before I left for a talk today.. got home a few min ago and was about to tag you.. you're too efficient though! Glad you found it. Wish I could have stayed for your whole tour, but I had a spot with Charlie Dobbin on her show. Let's hope for more time to connect next year!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)