kale

kale
The overwintered kale is sprouting!

Monday, January 20, 2014

What a difference a day makes - the updated January garden!

Let's start by playing a fun comparison game - check out these first 2 photos below.. I was standing in the same spot (or at least as close as I could figure, given the snow!) 3 days apart. Pretty crazy, eh.. don't you just love Mother Nature?

As much as I enjoyed our brief interlude of spring-like temp's, it's good that we now have gone back down below freezing and gotten another 15 cm (6 inches) of snow… And it's not that cold - no polar vortex here - the temp's are still just under freezing, the snow will provide a nice insulating cover for the perennials/bulbs/garlic and it's ideal packy snow for snowmen! Can't complain!

Ok.. here is the garden on Thursday…

And here is the same view and vantage point yesterday morning!

The overwintering tunnels with Asian greens and spinach
are a bit snow covered!

Walking up to the garden.. the kale mini tunnels.

A kale tunnel with five varieties of this super hardy winter
superstar.

I love how my fence posts stand like sentries
guarding the garden - from the deer? No
chance! Deer footprints are everywhere in
the snow!

Can you tell there are three cold frames end
to end? I keep an old plastic shovel
handy to quickly clear off the snow in
just 2 swipes.




3 comments:

  1. This is rather inspiring. I am currently constructing my first beds with row covers as well as a small greenhouse. I've been gardening for 11 years now and am ready to expand. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather can do truly amazing things ... in the blink of an eye it changes ... and our plants etc have to get on and cope. Like your snow pictures.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! That is really amazing. I cannot imagine my little garden being covered in snow!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)