kale

kale
The overwintered kale is sprouting!

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Happy New Year!!

The view from Signal Hill in St John's.
Greetings from snowy Nova Scotia!! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and - if you're anything like me - you're in serious seed mode. At this time of the year, it's pretty much all I can think of - what seed catalogues have arrived? What catalogues am I still waiting for? What is new and exciting? What do I need? What do I WANT?? So far, I've gotten about a dozen catalogues.. still waiting for Halifax Seed and a few others to arrive before I finish my list and place my orders.

What are you excited about this year? What were the standouts in your garden last year? I'm always on the lookout for suggestions, so feel free to comment and offer your own recommendations.

We spent New Year's in beautiful St. John's, Newfoundland. I'm embarrassed to say that it was my first trip to 'the rock', but I will be back - hopefully in summer next time! Not much to see in terms of gardens/plants in mid-winter. Even the incredible gardens at Memorial University were closed for the holidays. If you've never been, add it to your list of must-visit destinations. The scenery is unbelievably gorgeous and the folks are fantastic! Here are a few peeks from my trip and also the garden when I returned.. note that my hoop tunnels are very loosely covered and the temps had been 'polar vortex' frigid for about a week. Yet, the kales and other veggies were ready to harvest when I returned.




Love laundry lines.. I was out of the car for 14 seconds to
take this photo and I swear my hands almost had
frostbite!

A view of 'the narrows'. Cruise ships actually come in through
this small gap to visit the harbour.



After the storm, the wind had blown 5 feet of snow in this driveway!

Big snowbanks = awesome snowforts!

Less snow in NS when I arrived home. 

Very loosely covered, but underneath
there is a bounty of spinach and late
seeded arugula that will replace the
spinach as it is harvested and as we
receive more daylight hours.

One of my parsley plants beneath a thin
cover of spruce boughs. 

A peek under a cover - about a dozen kale plants.

6 comments:

  1. You have less snow than me! umph ;-(
    Glad you had a wonderful trip. Love Newfoundland. You need to get to Ferryland next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopped over from the UK and have enjoyed looking at your snowy pictures.

    Aren't plants, seeds wonderful how they keep battling through no matter what the weather. Nature can be good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a new veggie gardener, and I am primarily using your Year Round book as my guide (I'm in Northern Nova Scotia). I've read it over many times already - so thanks for such a great book! May I ask what seed companies you order from? I know of Vesey's, Halifax Seed, Incredible Seed...but wonder if I'm missing any local sources? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Stacy!! I hope you're taking advantage of this mild weather to sow more seed in your garden beds?? I've just sown more spinach and covered the bed w/a mini hoop tunnel. Great weather for that! :) As for seed companies, I also love Annapolis Seeds in the valley (they also go to different farmer's markets in the province too) and Hope Seeds. wonderful folks at both catalogues! Other than those two companies, I also order from Halifax Seed (I usually just pop in the store), Johnny's Seeds and Renees Garden. You can find all of those online. Oh, and Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.. I need to get organized.. haven't done that yet! :) Thanks again!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much Niki, I'll check those out. I am not quite set up for much winter gardening yet, last year was my first year gardening at all! But I have big plans for this coming year...can't wait for spring (especially now - the blizzard yesterday was a bit much).

      Delete
  4. I'll never cus the winter weather here in South Texas again! :-) Your pics made me shiver, but they sure are purty.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)